Idaho Smart Growth is now accepting nominations for its seventh annual Grow Smart awards.
The awards recognize the innovative work of communities, builders, planners, architects, organizations and developers whose work exemplifies smart growth principles. The awards program highlights leading projects that keep Idaho’s communities vibrant and its lands healthy, and provides the general public as well as professional peers the opportunity to celebrate and inspire one another, according to Rachel Winer, executive director of Idaho Smart Growth.
Winners are selected by the Grow Smart Awards Jury, a diverse group of community leaders and professionals knowledgeable about smart growth principles.
All projects are eligible, not just recently completed projects, Winer said.
The jury evaluates nominated development projects that use the following smart growth principles:
• Provide a variety of transportation choices
• Mixed land uses
• Create a range of housing opportunities and choices
• Create walkable neighborhoods
• Encourage community and stakeholder collaboration
• Foster distinctive communities with a strong sense of place
• Make development decisions predictable, fair and cost-effective
• Preserve open space, parks, farmland, natural beauty and environmentally critical areas
• Strengthen and direct development towards existing communities
• Adopt compact building patterns and efficient infrastructure design
Nominations are being accepted until June 1, and anyone may submit a nomination.
An application and instructions may be downloaded at www.idahosmartgrowth.org or by contacting Idaho Smart Growth at (208) 333-8066 or firstname.lastname@example.org. All completed applications must include a $50 processing fee.
Past award winners may be viewed at http://idahosmartgrowth.org/index.php/projects/awards/.