Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility
Home / Excellence in Finance / Tonya (Toni) Smith, 2019 Excellence in Finance

Tonya (Toni) Smith, 2019 Excellence in Finance

Tonya (Toni) Smith

Vice president and branch manager,

D.L. Evans Bank

Photo by Pete Grady.

Toni Smith is one of the first female vice presidents in banking in the Treasure Valley. With more than 50 years in the industry, she has made her mark as an inspiring and compassionate leader with a positive spirit.

While studying at the Seattle University, Smith was hit by a car while skiing. She was unable to go back to school and decided to move to Boise with no connections and no job.

When she arrived, Smith checked into the Women and Children’s Alliance center. With willingness, determination and a positive mindset, she launched her career in banking in 1967.

Soon, she worked her way up from part-time bank teller at First Interstate Bank to branch manager and vice president at D.L. Evans Bank in Meridian.

“I came to Boise with nothing and ended up where I am today. I really enjoy what I do,” says Smith. “You have to have that positive attitude — believe you can do it, and it will work out. Life is 10% of what happens to us, and the other 90% is how we react to it.”

Smith goes above and beyond to help others succeed. Over the last several years, she has taught banking classes and led community seminars. In her office, she cross-trains employees and works around their schedules if they are going to school so they can get the education they need.

“I was blessed to have had wonderful mentors that believed in me and allowed me to make the moves from position to position within the bank as well as providing numerous classes in banking that allowed me to gain information and a vision of what could be done,” she says.

Along with mentoring, Smith spends a significant amount of time giving back to the community. For the past 16 years, she has been on the Meridian Chamber of Commerce, with six of those years on its board of directors.

Smith was instrumental in starting the Meridian Chamber Scholarship Program, which awards six students in the Treasure Valley with a $500 scholarship. She also played a role in the chamber’s first Job Shadowing Day in Meridian and coordinated a school backpack program.

“My first impression was of her boundless energy, passion, and love of people. Her creativity and positive energy left a huge impression,” writes Tammy de Weerd, Mayor of Meridian, in a letter of recommendation. “More importantly, Toni’s heart for others is pure. She is committed to our community and our youth.”

Smith also volunteers with the Special Olympics of Idaho, the American Heart Association, Boys & Girls Clubs of Ada County, Ronald McDonald House, Rake Up Meridian, the Epilepsy Foundation of Idaho and St. Luke’s Regional Medical Centers in Eagle and Meridian.

“It seems when there is a community project, Toni is there working hard to help our community,” writes Bernadette Sexton, executive director for the West Ada School District Foundation, in a letter of recommendation. “She is one of the most positive individuals I have ever met.”

The digital version of Excellence in Finance 2020 is available for free download.

About Chloe Baul