The Idaho Department of Health and Welfare on Monday asked for an additional $70 million from the general fund and $300 million overall that includes federal money for an 8.7% increase in next year’s budget.
Director Dave Jeppesen told the Legislature’s budget-setting committee that the large increase is due to Medicaid expansion that went into effect Jan. 1.
State officials estimate about 90,000 low-income Idaho residents will qualify for the expansion at a cost of about $400 million. The state is required to pay 10%, or about $40 million, with the federal government covering the remaining 90%.
About 60,000 people have so far signed up for coverage under expanded Medicaid coverage.
Jeppesen’s request would boost the agency’s budget to about $930 million from general funds.
The agency would also receive about $330 million in dedicated funds from such things as fees and licenses plus another $2.4 billion from the federal government for an overall budget of about $3.7 billion.
Idaho Gov. Brad Little is recommending an additional $40 million from the general fund that, combined with federal money, would result in an overall increase of 8%.